Built, originally, as a temporary structure for the 1940 World Exhibition, to celebrate the period of the Discoveries and such as Vasco da Gama, Pedro Cabral, and Ferdinand Magellan. The original was demolished after the Exhibition and this was constructed in 1960 to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator (otherwise known as the Infante Henrique, Duque de Viseau). Its location is significant, Vasco da Gama left from this point on the river in 1497 on his voyage to India. The monument is 50 metres, 171 ft., tall and there are more than thirty statues of people.
|exposure mode||full manual|