Built by Sir John Vanburgh in 1718 (he also designed Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard, and is perhaps better known to some as the dramatist who wrote The Provoked Wife and The Relapse) for Admiral George Delaval. As Widipedia notes: "Since completion of the house in 1728, it has had an unfortunate history. Neither architect nor patron lived to see its completion; it then passed through a succession of heirs, being lived in only intermittently. Most damagingly of all, in 1822 the central block was gutted by fire, and has remained an empty shell ever since." And: "The house was partially restored by the architect John Dobson in 1862–63, when the central block was re-roofed, although it remained a shell internally. The effects of the fire remain clearly visible in the great hall, originally 30 feet (9.1 m) high but now open to the roof, with blackened walls and muse statues." A descendant of Delaval, Edward Delaval Henry Astley, 22nd Baron Hastings, moved into the west wing in the 1980s. He died in 2007 and the house was put on sale by the 23rd Baron and was bought by the National Trust. A TV programme earlier this year featured the restoration work being carried out.
Returning from Spain today and probably will not be commenting.
|exposure mode||shutter priority|