"The Eagle Slayer was cast in iron by the Coalbrookdale Company for the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was designed by the popular Victorian, neo-classical sculptor, John Bell (1811-95) and is representative of the art castings in iron or bronze begun by the company in the late 1830s.
The subject - of a shepherd boy shooting down an eagle - was inspired by one of Aesop's fables in which an eagle has just killed a lamb in the young shepherd's flock. The boy exacts his revenge by shooting down the bird with an arrow which uses a loose feather dropped by the eagle. Unwillingly, therefore, goes the fable, we give our enemies the means of our own destruction.
Following the Great Exhibition, the statue is believed to have been donated to the precursor of the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington. In 1927 it was transferred to the Bethnal Green Museum and returned to Coalbrookdale for the first time, on loan from the V&A Museum of Childhood."
The Museum of Iron is a good deal more interesting than its name might suggest :-)
|exposure mode||shutter priority|